Sunday 15 March 2020

Finished Object - Leftovers Shorty Sock

Another Leftovers shorty sock! This one knitted to exactly the same recipe as the last one, to make a delightfully miss-matched pair. Recently I have started taking my knitting to work and getting a couple of rounds done on my tea or lunch breaks. It's been nice, and quite pleasing to see a fair amount of progress on things as well. I've only been taking in little projects, and leftovers socks are perfect for the job.

This leftovers sock I've been knitting with the leftovers from a pair of socks that I knit for my sister-in-law for Christmas just gone (Ravelry page for those here) in an Opal sock yarn. I'm not sure what colourway it was, but the sock was mentioned back in one of my blog posts about all the Christmas knits I made. I knit them on my set of 2.5mm DPNs, and with 60 stitches, just like the previous sock I made.

I decided to make this sock in the same way and using the same techniques as the previous one, so they could be paired up. So there is about an inch of 2x2 ribbing for the cuff, followed by a german short row heel. The toe of the sock is finished normally, alternating one decrease row with one plain knit row. I added two plain rows just after the heel, mostly so the sock was the same as the last one, but also because I feel it worked well. I think it adds just a tiny bit more room for my quite long toes without the rest of the sock becoming too long. I think that may be a little thing that I add to most of my socks from now on, especially the ones that I have knit with this kind of toe.

So with this leftovers sock complete that is another pair to add to my ever growing sock draw. Maybe one day I'll have nothing but hand knit socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment