Wednesday 16 May 2018

Women in STEM

Now this is a little off the beaten track. As some of you know, I am an engineer. But there is a national shortage of women in engineering, as well as a whole host of other science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects. Now this could be for a whole host of reasons, but we do need to work on encouraging more young women and girls into the subjects.

To prove that it really is somewhere they can succeed and enjoy, I am aiming to try and encourage people by making a series of videos. These will be interviews with other women in STEM subjects on what they do and to try and encourage young women and girls to try it out.

I have already uploaded a video of my own story, which is also on my youtube channel. But here is the second. It is a short video interview with my mam, Dr Shirley Atkinson. Watch the video to see what she does and what she enjoys about it. And please, share it with anyone you know, to spread the message of what women do in STEM and to encourage all other young women and girls to follow their dreams and choose whatever career they want.


No comments:

Post a Comment