Tuesday 22 May 2018

More Scrappy Socks

These aren't really scrappy socks in a sense, they are more like leftovers socks. I should probably refer to them as that from now on.

Anyway, as I mentioned before in my scrappy socks post, I'm making single socks out of the leftover yarn from other pairs of socks I have made. All of them being the same similar pattern, and almost a record of what I have knitted for myself and other people.

This sock is leftover from when I knitted Mr M his christmas socks (He still loves them and wears them a lot!) and I used much the same pattern as all the other socks I have knitted, which was a basic cuff down pattern, with a heel flap and gusset heel. I originally got the pattern from Love Knitting, but having a quick look now, I think it has been taken down.

The yarn used was a Drops Delight, superwash sock yarn. I knitted it on a 2mm circular needle, using the magic loop method. I'm still very much finding my way with sock making, and the circular needle is a bit smaller than the DPNs that I used for my first pair of socks (they were 2.5mm), so I have been playing around to find out the best number of stitches to suit my feet.

The other pairs of socks that I have knitted on the 2mm needle has had 60 stitches. Fewer than the number of stitches I had on the DPNs. But the sock is relatively tight, and so I decided to go for 64 stitches on this sock. Safe to say, it is very comfy and not too loose. - Result!

I was mostly knitting this sock when I was volunteering out on the Talyllyn Railway, and I had a few days in the blockposts (they are like signal boxes) and there are large amounts of the day where there are no trains and you have to keep yourself busy. So I knitted, much to the amusement of the people around me. Although I did get one person who was shocked that I was knitting a sock and not something more dainty and lady like... I don't think he knew me very well.

The sock was finished in time for a trip up to Castell-y-Bere, in the brilliant sunshine, where we had a lovely picnic, and beautiful views to take pictures of socks against!

No comments:

Post a Comment