Sunday 27 May 2018

The Rose Window Hat

This hat I set myself as another challenge. I really want to try a colour work jumper, but I decided to let myself into it a little bit at a time. So I took to Ravelry, and made use of their search function, which has loads of different filters, including one for patterns with colour work, and even how many colours are used. I managed to find this lovely pattern for the Rose Window Hat.

I used 4-ply shetland wool, in three different colours. The pattern itself calls for two colours, black and a variegated for the colour. I used a purple for the edge and the black part of the pattern, and I alternated dark blue and light blue each row for the variegated bits.

It is knitted on 3.25mm and 3.5mm circular needle. The smaller needle is used for the ribbing, and then you switch to the larger needle for the rest of the hat. I did find that when the hat got smaller when decreasing on the top that the needle started to be slightly too long, and it did get a little difficult. I should have switched to the same size DPN's which would have made it easier, but I didn't have any that were the right size. I did switch to some that were slightly smaller, but I don't think that anyone noticed....

The overall effect I was really pleased with. The pattern itself, was easy to understand, and I enjoyed the colour work - something I will do again!

The pattern easily broke me into it, starting off with the squares and one different colour every four, and it really ramped itself up when it got to the lovely Rose Window pattern on the top. It got a little confusing and rather tangled at times, but I managed it, and I am very very happy with how it turned out.

I got Mam to put it on so I could take some photos and she liked the hat, so I gave it to her. I had tried it on myself, and found it was ever so slightly too big for my tiny head. I also have a rather loose tension, and didn't do a tension square...  I need to get better at making sure I have the right tension if I want to try jumpers and the like!

No comments:

Post a Comment