Monday 25 June 2018

Mam's Socks Leftovers

After knitting the socks for Mam, I did my usual leftovers sock. This one the normal ankle sock, but I tried it toe up this time. I cast it on with a Turkish cast on, like I cast on Emma's Socks, but using a 2 mm circular needle, as I planned on using the magic loop method.

My problem was that I only had one 2 mm circular needle, and all the tutorials I could find on Turkish cast ons, did it with two circular needles. So I had fun figuring it out. I love puzzles, and this was just another - I've made a video of how I have done it, and you can find it on Youtube here, or go to Youtube and type in my name (Lottie Atkinson) to find my channel.

I'm currently still figuring out the right sock width for me with the 2 mm needle. My feet are thin, but not that thin... The pair I knitted for Mam were slightly too tight on my feet, so I increased the stitch count to 64 for this one, which has worked so much better. It's still snuggly, but not loose like my first pair at all.

For this sock I used the short row heel again, and this time it wasn't as hole-y as Emma's, and I don't really know what I did differently. I think I'm going to look into different ways to do heels to find out what I like best in terms of design, and how well I can do them!

This sock did take a tiny bit of a back seat in terms of knitting priority. I have had quite a few other things which had deadlines to make and knit before I could really spend much time on it, it got done eventually. But it was my handbag knitting, it went a lot of places with me so I could knit on it in my spare time. Including the train, I went out for a day shopping with my Mam and ended up getting a suit for an interview soon - eek! - Fingers crossed that it goes well!

Where is the weirdest place you've been knitting?


No comments:

Post a Comment