Sunday 1 July 2018

Arm Knitted Snood

This knit was quite a bit of fun. I had been given a lovely lovely snood, which was arm knitted for me by a lovely friend and for a long time I had wanted to try it myself. So I did.

This time I used leftover yarn from a 200g ball that I got when I made my Walrus Hat. It is a chunky, 100% acrylic yarn, that is a variegated brown colour.

I thought that the knit would be quite thin, so it would be best to double up the yarn, which I did by pulling from the inside and the outside of the ball. It did prove quite a challenge actually finding the inside of the ball, but we managed...

The snood I really did make up as I went along and I applied the normal knitting technique to what I was doing. Arm through the loop, pick up the yarn, pull it through.

You cannot however, turn your arms. So the effect, especially if you just knit, is not garter stitch, as would be on a normal piece, but stocking stitch. I knew this would be the effect, and I liked it to be that way. I could have tried purling with my arms, but that might have been a bit awkward. I didn't actually try it, so it might not be - We'll find out next time.

I arm knitted until I felt the work was a decent length, before casting off and cutting a very long tail. As the work is so large I also sewed the two ends together using my hands which worked quite well.

All in all the piece took me about 20 minutes to make. It is a very very speedy and easy knit. The fabric it produced was thinner then I thought but it would make a nice light snood. Next time I might try a much thicker yarn. Perhaps double up on super chunky yarn, or try out these new specially made arm knitting yarns.

I am pleased with what I have made, and may well make another one in the future, given that I still have A LOT of this yarn left. I may make the snood a little bit longer too. Or maybe I'll make something completely different to a snood! But that is to decide another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment