Sunday 9 June 2019

Me-Made-May 2019 - The Turtle Skirt

This post will be the last of four posts that I have finally got around to writing for Me-Made-May 2019. They have been posted in the order that they were intended to be posted throughout the month, so you will most probably see this one first then scroll down to see the rest. So I hope you enjoy.

The last Me-Made that made its way out for Me-Made-May was my 3/4 circle skirt that was one of the very first pieces of clothing I made for a mostly adult me. I say mostly adult, I think I had just turned 18 at the time. I'm not entirely sure but I remember drinking a horrible bottle of wine to celebrate redecorating my bedroom at the same time.

The pattern was a self drafted pattern from some instructions that I found on Pinterest. Whether the formulas from this website or my maths at the time were off it is hard to say. But the pattern I drafted was meant to be a full circle skirt, and I did cut out enough pieces to create the full circle.

The fabric I used I found in a box in our house, and if I remember rightly was originally used to make toddler Lottie a pair of shorts and a vest top. Which I seem to remember wearing on a family holiday to the Isle of Wight. I may be corrected later by Mam. The fabric was a white jersey type fabric with cartoon turtles on it, which is quite cute.

I had never sewn with jersey before (and never have done since) so on the actual sewing side of things, it is a little bit of a car crash, but its held together and still functions as a skirt, so why not just wear it around the house on a summer's day?

I mentioned that I was intending to make a full circle skirt, and yes I did have all the pieces, but I did find that once I had sewn three of the pieces together that actually that size fitted around my waist and that actually if I added another panel in it would have been horrendously too big. So I left out the last panel and sewed up the skirt. Which to be fair wasn't too bad.

But there ends all the different makes for Me-Made-May 2019. Writing this on the 9th of June I can say that I did indeed wear a Me-Made almost every day for Me-Made-May. Whilst it was challenging at times I did manage it, with the exception of one day, where I wore a skirt I had made for an hour before deciding I felt too uncomfortable in it. So here's to a successful May, and to many more Me-Made clothes in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment