Wednesday 5 February 2020

Book Review - What If?

This Christmas the boyfriend did good, with a selection of books which I am pretty excited to get my teeth into. The first being the book What If? by Randall Munroe. I wanted to finish reading this book in the new year, so it would become my first finished book of the year. But I had several long train journeys and it was a rather addictive book. Sam told me I was cheating anyway...

The book is based off the authors website https://what-if.xkcd.com/ (it is brilliant, go check it out) which was a favourite of mine a few years ago, but had slipped out of my mind. The basis of the website is that people submit their wonderful, whacky and hypothetical questions, that get answered with science  and research from across the globe. I find them very amusing and love the nerdy science part of it as well. The book takes some of the best questions that have been asked and puts them into print, with a couple of strange and unanswered ones for good measure.

It was a really enjoyable read, it made me laugh out loud and was really quite educational, without being too confusing or patronising. Broken down into individual questions and answers it was perfect pick-up-put-down book that was readable in bite sized chunks. Always perfect for any occasion.

I've decided to give number rating books a miss for now. I'm struggling to work out an intuitive system that works for every kind of book. I've decided that I will just give my thoughts and opinions for now, until I find the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment