Wednesday 19 February 2020

Finished Object - A Leftover Shorty Sock

After Ripping out my Arbor Vitae Jumper, I felt like I needed something new to work on. I wasn't really feeling like I wanted to make much of what I already had on the needles and was itching for something else. The thought of a family weekend away looming, got me thinking about train knitting and knitting that could be done when chatting to other people and being social. So I decided on a sock. In the back of my mind I was still feeling the need to work through what I had, so I decided it was time for another leftovers sock.

The leftovers sock is something I have been doing with the leftover yarn when I have been knitting other pairs of socks, be them for myself or other people. I will make one shorty from the yarn, the remainder of that ball will be wound up and put with my other scraps. I find it's a nice way to have a reminder of all the socks that I have knit before, especially if they have been for a gift.

So in my draw of bits of projects and things, I found the leftovers of the pair of socks I knitted for my Dad (Ravelry PageBlog Post). I then had a look at what needles I had free and my set of Knitpro 2.5mm DPNs were empty, so that was the plan made. They were packed up into a bag and taken with me when I set off on my journey to see my family.

I cast them on in a coffee shop whilst waiting for my train, with 60 stitches, and I started on the cuff. I worked them top down and knit an inch of 2x2 ribbing. I had forgotten to bring a ruler or tape measure with me, so I knitted the length of the top portion of my thumb, I measured the length of the ribbing when I got home. It's nice to know I have an inch long thumb section - makes for easy quick measuring!

I knitted a plain knit round after the ribbing before starting on the heel. It was a german short row heel, the easiest I find to remember. I knitted the foot until it was about an inch and half below the top of my big toe then I started the toe of the sock. Quite a few of the shorty socks I've made before have a habit of slipping down my foot during the day, which is probably down to them being a little too short. So after I finished the toe decreases, I added two straight knit rounds, and then grafted it together.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the outcome, it was made really quite quick, (less than a week!) and the fit is really good, better than previous attempts. Maybe I should play around a little bit more with my leftovers socks. I'm feeling the creativity right now, so I may have to go cast on another!

No comments:

Post a Comment