Wednesday 26 February 2020

Book Review - Jane Blonde: Sensational Spylet

I find there is something a little special about going back to a book you loved as a child, and reading it through adult eyes again.

When moving out of my parents house, I had a chance to go back through my belongings and sort out what I was going to take with me and what was to go and find a new home. I have always had a love for books, so had a good few to look through to see what I wanted to bring with me. Among those books was the series of books about a school girl spy, Jane Blonde.

These books caught my imagination when I was a young girl at school, and from the little I remembered of them, they were fun and exciting to read back then. These feelings were brought back to me when I pulled the books off the bookshelf and I decided to read through them again, in order from the beginning. My memory of what actually happened in the books was very clouded, only remembering little bits here and there, so I was excited to get reading. Once I had started I really was hooked and chapter after chapter just kept on coming. What I enjoyed was that the book, by its nature written for children, was incredibly easy to read and was finished quite quickly. 

The story line, while a little bit far fetched for the real world - but who really cares in a children's book, or one about spies in general! - it did have some really touching parts which brought about emotions that I don't recall feeling when I was reading the book as a child. I enjoyed the way that you could see the story developing, and every next twist and turn you could see being built up and drawing on the things that had happened already. Because of this I feel even more attached to the series, a book written seriously about something completely unserious.

I really have enjoyed reading this book back through as an adult, and am going to love working my way back through the series. Even for a book aimed at people a lot younger than me, it will be an enjoyment for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment