Wednesday 15 April 2020

Finished Object - Leftovers Shorty Pair

After finishing my last shorty sock I needed another sock to knit on whilst on break at work, and I looked at the bits of sock yarn I had left, and one cake was about 50g of Gamer Crafting Yak Sock that I had leftover from when I knitted the lovely Lyne Socks by Dawn Henderson. I thought that 50g was enough to make a shorty pair and not just one mismatched sock. So that is what I decided to do.

I fancied playing around with my shorty socks and not just doing another plain vanilla sock. Which this yarn lent itself to more then the previous self striping/patterning yarn that makes it difficult for a textured pattern to show up. I decided to do something simple and just carry on the 2x2 rib from the cuff of the sock down the top of the foot, and I am actually quite pleased with the outcome.

So I cast on 60 stitches, with my 2.5mm DPNs and knit one inch of 2x2 ribbing for a cuff. I then knit one plain round (bearing in mind the front was still knit in 2x2 rib and the back plain stocking stitch) before starting the german short row heel. This has become my go to heel, but only because it is easy to do and I can do it off the top of my head. But I did wear one pair of my knitted socks that had a heel flap and gusset, and I remembered how well they fitted, so I might have to try that one again next.

After the heel the rest of the sock was knit, plain stocking stitch on the bottom and 2x2 rib on the top, until we got to the toe. It was a simple toe, with an extra two rounds on the end to give a tiny bit of extra room. These socks took a little while longer to knit then the previous two shorty socks, but I did knit two instead of one! These were only knit on whilst I was at work in my break times, so the going was going to be slightly slower.

Overall I'm pretty happy, and have another lovely pair of socks to add to my collection. Now onto the next leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment