Wednesday 8 May 2019

Me-Made-May 2019 - Leftovers Socks, Blue Tit and Kingfisher

Day 4 of Me-Made-May was a sock day. I feel like wearing my socks for Me-Made-May is not putting in much effort, especially when it wasn't a work day, I need to remind myself that homemade socks are just as important.

This pair in particular are what I like to call my Leftovers Socks. Most of the time I get 100g of sock yarn to make a pair of socks, and every time there is a fair amount of leftover yarn. In fact there is more than enough to make myself one shortie sock. So I do, and seeing as I give away a lot of the socks I knit, it is a lovely reminder of what I have made. There is a bit of an odd sock nature to making my leftovers socks, so I will often make one straight after I've finished the pair it is from and I'll end up having one sock without a partner for a little while. I also occasionally mix and match the shorties, but usually they stay in a little mismatched pair.

The first sock from this little pair that was made was one made from the leftovers from my Necker Socks, and they were knit on a 2mm circular needle with 64 stitches. They were knit in West Yorkshire Spinners signature 4 ply in the Bluetit colourway. It was finished quite fast but then stayed on the side for a very long time waiting for a partner.

It was also the first time I had used a cardboard cut out of my foot for measuring the sock against to work out when to start the toe. Fortunately it worked quite well, and I have repeated the technique several times, getting cut outs of feet for the people I knit socks for regularly.

The second leftovers sock is from a pair of socks that I made my Mam. She picked out a ball of West Yorkshire Spinners in the Kingfisher colourway. So it was the same base as the first shortie sock. The socks that I knitted for my Mam were knit on 2.5mm DPNs, and so I used them for this sock as well, using a 60 stitch count for my thin foot.

I did knit this second shortie in a little bit of a panic as I thought that I hadn't got enough pairs of socks to last me a shift at work over Me-Made-May. Having this second sock would create another pair and enough for the shift. I soon realised that I actually already had five pairs of hand knitted socks and another would make six. So I had one day extra - thankfully!

So having pooped out that second sock it got paired up and put away with the Necker shortie sock ready for the day it was to be worn. Which was day 4. The pair did quite well, and they got put through their paces being walked around Richmond and then playing a badminton match. The fact that they were both knit at different gauges was noticeable however. Which isn't surprising really.

They were still a joy to wear and will be put through the wash for another day, so here's the instagram the story shot, happy making!



No comments:

Post a Comment