Monday 13 May 2019

Me-Made-May 2019 - My first socks

Day 7 was another pair of socks. This pair the first ever pair I made, and I was ridiculously proud when I finished them.

I knitted this pair about a year and a half ago, I picked up the first ball of sock yarn I could see on the shelf in a craft shop that was in the town I had temporarily moved to at the time, and a few days later went back for the right sized DPNs. The pattern was a basic sock pattern that was on Love Knitting, although has now been taken down, and I set about trying to knit the first sock.

My first hurdle was the cast on, and then all the jargon used to describe the different parts of the sock and what to do! I did refer to the internet, and the delightful "For Dummies" website which has a lot of brilliant tutorials on a lot of different things. I really had to look things up and do a fair amount of reading to finally understand what I was doing. I also believe it was the first time I had come across a SSK.

I remember finishing the first sock on a weekend away in Cornwall. It was October time and I had spent the day watching the first public runs of the Bloodhound Supersonic Car at Newquay Airport, and was cozy-ing down for the night under a blanket. I was so proud I put it on straight away and demanded that my boyfriend take photos!

The second sock followed shortly afterwards, I had no problems with second sock syndrome, and before long I had my very first pair of socks. I also wrote a blog post here about them. They were far from perfect, they weren't the right gauge to fit my feet and all kinds of things, but I still love them, and I still wear them!

I made them quite a while ago that I don't actually have any photos of them to hand, so you will have to do with the instagram story! I hope you are having a wonderful day!





No comments:

Post a Comment