Wednesday 13 May 2020

Finished Object - Tailors Ham

I thought it would be a week or so of Works in Progress for you all, but I managed this sweet little stash buster to help with my future makes. A tailors ham isn't something that I had really thought about before, I've always muddled through when pressing, but when planning out a few sewing projects for my days off it was suggested in one of the patterns that one was needed. So I set about trying to make my own using a helpful tutorial from Tilly and The Buttons Blog, which includes a free printable download. 


I rummaged through my box of odds, ends and scraps and found some thick, upholstery type fabric which would be up to the job. The pattern piece is designed to be cut on the fold, and whilst I had one piece of fabric big enough to do that, my other piece of fabric was such an awkward shape that whilst I could get what I needed out of it, they couldn't be one piece. So I traced the pattern piece out twice and added a half inch seam allowance along the fold edge. 

The pattern itself written on the blog was easy to follow and in no time the ham was sewn quickly up. The next step was to stuff it. The blog talks about using sawdust to stuff the ham, but also mentions that soft fabric scraps could be used as well. As we're in the middle of a nation wide lockdown, and I have no idea where I would get saw dust from in the first place I had to make do with what I had to hand. I thought that the softness of the inside of my ham wasn't too important (more than happy to be corrected on that). I am going to be pressing things around it, not pinning into it. But I did have to bear in mind that heat would be applied during the pressing, so I made sure that what I was going to stuff inside wasn't going to melt or something when heat was applied. 

I stuffed it pretty well, and firmly using a lot of what I had in my scraps. I was pretty pleased with the end result. I have also put it to the test with my latest sewing project (more on that soon!) and it was rather helpful pressing the crotch seams into where they need to be without trying to flatten everything. So overall I'm pretty pleased with it, I also couldn't resist throwing it around like a ball... Can you tell not seeing real life people is getting to me! :P 

Anyway, I will be back later this week with some other exciting things for you. So I hope you are all looking after yourselves in the way that you need. Stay safe! L x

No comments:

Post a Comment