Wednesday 20 May 2020

WIP Wednesday - Arbor Vitae

Yes yes! Another update on this should-have-been-finished-long-ago work in progress. I have finally managed to complete the body of my Arbor Vitae jumper, and I am pretty excited about it. I was finding the body hard going, with almost endless stocking stitch with a 4-ply yarn. I found that I couldn't just sit and knit on it unless I had something else to distract me as well. 

That being said I did manage to get a fair bit done on it when I realised I could walk and knit at the same time, and I spent a fair few walks in the sunshine knitting as I wandered along. 


I decided to cut the waist shaping short, by doing one less increase repeat. That meant that the number of decrease and increase repeats were the same, but also I found that by the end of the penultimate increase the body was the length specified in the pattern before the ribbing started. So I thought there wasn't much to loose and started the ribbing. 

I tried it on after I had cast off and it was a perfectly fine length, it comes down a fair bit further than my Fern and Feather, and had a nice amount of ease to it. (Not 11" ;P) I then added the neckline and that was practically done in a night too. The neckline also isn't quite to pattern. I knitted the neckline until it was a length I liked, trying it on as I went. That meant that it is actually half the size that the pattern suggests. But I'm not too keen on things being tight around my neck. 

So that only leaves the sleeves and sleeve caps to go. I'm thinking of trying to make them two at a time, which would be exciting to try. So I am almost back to where I was when I ripped back this whole jumper. It has been hard going, and I'm a little unsure now of knitting another 4-ply jumper. But maybe this is just because it is the second time round same pattern, same yarn. I'll see how I feel about another one in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment