Wednesday 27 May 2020

WIP Wednesday - Chapman Socks

First of all I want to say a huge sorry for the posting schedule going a little off piste this past week. I didn't realise I hadn't scheduled a post to go up on Sunday, and after a tiring week at work, I am only now just getting around to getting some things written. So on with that! 

One of the things I cast on recently was a pair of Chapman socks by Rachel Atkinson from the John Arbon Textiles Annual, issue one. The Annual itself is a lovely little book with a couple of patterns as well as a few fun little activities and I am excitedly waiting for my copy of issue two. 


The socks are cabled with a little wiggly two by two cable, which gives a lovely effect, as well as being really easy to knit. I am making the Extra-Small size (there are five different sizes) which uses 56 stitches, and whilst the pattern calls for a 2.25mm needle I have used 2.5mm DPNs. 

I've now knit one complete sock and am now starting on the second. But there was one false start with the first... I accidentally cast on two extra stitches and didn't really work out why the pattern wasn't working until I had done the entire leg and was about to do the heel. After pulling it completely out and starting again it was very quick to knit up, and really quite enjoyable as the pattern is easy to memorise without too much thinking. 

The yarn used is actually from a little weekend break away I had back last year when I went with my parents to Edinburgh. We had an amazing time, but I managed to pop into the Ginger Twist Studio shop and pick up a holiday skein of yarn. I chose a skein of her sock base, Sheepish Sock in a colourway that really spoke to my heart: Factory Girls. It is the most amazing green (the photo above doesn't do it justice) whilst also being lovely to knit with. I can highly recommend. 


Now excuse me whilst I go knit on this sock! ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment