Sunday 31 May 2020

Finished Object - Leftovers Shorty Sock

A little while ago, before Christmas maybe? I had picked up a cheap set of 2.25mm DPNs to see if I liked the fabric I could knit with them whilst making socks. Sadly they sat in the needle case forgotten about until fairly recently. So I decided that when making this leftovers sock I would use them and see what I thought of the finished product. 


I cast on 60 stitches for this sock, which was a guess at how well it would fit me really, as I tend to use 60 stitches for a 2.5mm needle and 64 for a 2mm needle. But I think it has turned out pretty well. I knit an inch of ribbing and then started the heel. 

The heel is a little bit different to what I mostly use. During Me-Made-May this year I am wearing all my hand knit socks a lot more and I have been rediscovering which of my socks I like the best. It turns out that my socks knit with a heel flap and gusset I find the most comfy, while the majority of my socks are German Short Row heel. I think this is mostly because I really didn't like doing the heel flap, and the German Short Row heel I had memorised and found easy to do. But seeing as my most recent pair of socks I'm knitting are heel flap, I thought I might as well on this sock too. 

So I pulled out the pattern for Hermione's Everyday Socks and I used the eye of partridge heel recipe in that, which I can highly recommend. In fact the Hermione's Everyday Socks are a brilliant pattern if you are a new to sock knitting knitter. 

The yarn I used for this sock is leftover from when I made my brother a pair of socks for Christmas, and is West Yorkshire Spinners, signature 4-ply in what I think is the Mallard colourway. I've only tried on the sock so far, and it fits really well so I am looking forward to when I have some more leftover sock yarn to make it a little friend so I can wear them together and really give it a road test! 

No comments:

Post a Comment