Sunday 3 May 2020

Finished Object: My First Quilt

So a very long time ago or what felt like it, (looking back at the original blog post is was about 2018), I started my very first quilting project. I started off simple with a couple of fat quarter packs from the local Hobbycraft and set about piecing them together to make a top and bottom quilt. And then they stayed in drawer for a few years.

It was only a year or so later when I decided to make a quilt for my Nephew when he was born that I actually decided to get a walking foot for my sewing machine and quilt my first quilt as a practice for doing my Nephew's. It worked pretty well, and then the quilt went back into the draw to be forgotten about.

We are now into 2020 and I have finally got around to finishing the binding on the quilt. It took me to get a bias binding maker and get into the swing of making my own binding to actually do it. So the quilt is bound at the edges using binding I have made from scraps I had lying around. I've managed to match the opposite sides, but I do love the way it has turned out.

The first row of stitching on the binding is sewn by machine, but the second set, after it was turned over the edge I've done by hand. This was mostly because the edges were not that even and it was a little bit of a nightmare trying to get the binding to sit nicely. It was far easier to do it by hand and was completed over a couple of nights sitting watching some podcasts with a brew.

I'm pretty pleased that the quilt is finally finished and can now be put to good use. Maybe next time we'll try a scrappy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment