Thursday 2 February 2017

Eurofighter Progress

Starting posting about a model most of the way through building it is probably an odd one. But I am proud of this model. It is the first model that I have cared enough to do properly, and it has taken a while to get here.


So for the first time, I've put transfers onto a model, instead of just painting it and hoping for the best. In terms of first tries, I'm pleased, all the transfers came out well, and are positioned in mostly the correct place. I'm currently waiting for the transfers to properly dry out before I go about varnishing the aircraft. Which will be another first. 

I did have to ask for the help of Mr M on this one. The lovely instructions for the transfers simply stated "soak in water and apply to model" which although I understood, wasn't sure of how to go about exactly "soaking in water" and "applying". In my field of work you do everything to the manual, this wasn't helping the perfectionist nature in me!

But with advice from Mr M, who told me in the end everyone has their own way of doing it, and "I guarantee you will mess at least on of them up", which of course I took as a challenge, I did them all. And without hiccup I may add Mr M. 

Cockpit and Canopy with RAF roundel.
Tail, along with serial number and other markings.

Before adding the transfers the pedant in me decided to do the research. I knew that the Eurofighters were flown by Number 29 squadron. One of my lecturers has great joy in telling me the same story over and over again about them. But it was obvious that this roundel was not, Number 29. I soon found out it was Number 17 squadron, which also was a Eurofighter test squadron.

This lead me on to the serial number of the aircraft, ZJ928, and much to my surprise (and enjoyment)  this aircraft was a Eurofighter and had previously been in Number 17 squadron. Very nice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment