Friday 3 February 2017

Periodic Squares

For a long time I have wanted a patchwork quilt, I also am a sucker for science and used to have a passion for chemistry. So a little while ago I started to create a blanket.

Blanket Pieces Laid Out

For this blanket I have knitted squares, I intend to then so them together and on each square I shall sew on the correct chemical symbol. Progress on this blanket has been very very slow, but today I finished another square, which is one more on the way to the finish. But also, I realised I had no record of what squares I had knitted... I had previously written a chart of the periodic table which I had free handed, and looking back at it I had no clue what was going on and what I had done already. (Some squares were crossed out and others scribbled here and there).

Old Chart and New Chart
So I sat down and I drew out another chart, this time using squared paper and created a second chart that was neat and understandable.

Then was the task of sorting the squares into colour and seeing what bits of the blanket had been done and what was left to do.
Very satisfyingly I was neatly crossing things off the chart and there are now a nice amount of crosses in the boxes.

One of the things I failed to take into account was my eagerness to get the project started when I first settled on the idea, meaning that I have a partly completed blanket that hasn't been knitted to the same pattern. For the majority of the blanket I have been knitting the squares diagonally, in a diamond shape, this means that the square doesn't pull awkwardly in the blanket and it all lies nicely. But in the first column of my periodic table, my squares have been knitted straight and to varying sizes...
Oh well, I will see how this all looks in the end, then I may have to redo some of the start.

The pattern I've used for the square is a simple garter stitch pattern I have explained here: Square Pattern

For my squares I have used size 9 (3.75mm) and all of the wool is double knitting. Each square doesn't take much yarn to produce and one 100g ball gives quite a few squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment